Summer time is also a time for fun, family getaways! I would like to share five getaway activities that I think are an absolute MUST for any kid to experience at least one time in their childhood. Some may require a road trip and some may be right down the road. It's not about the destination in my eyes...It's the company that you keep and the memories that are created.
MY TOP 5 SUMMER ACTIVITIES FOR FAMILIES:
- A summer performance at Wolf Trap in Vienna, Virginia. This is not your ordinary concert venue!
The architecture is simply astounding, and the grounds of full of all the beauty nature has to offer. They host a number of performances throughout the summer in all musical genres, and they even have plays and musicals, as well as kids' programs! I love going to shows at Wolf Trap! Can you blame me? They have something for everyone, and look at how gorgeous this place is:
- Luray Caverns in Luray, Virginia. This place is AWESOME! Not only will you have a gorgeous, scenic drive down Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Mountains, you'll get to explore a real live cave! Complete with stalactites and stalagmites and underground pools....The sights to be seen are awe-inspiring and beautiful. They even have a fudge shop on site and a gift shop where you can buy educational materials, rocks, and gems. Very cool! Oh, and on a HOT summer day, it's nice that it stays around 68 degrees or so in the caves!
- The Zoo! This is a great day trip for most families with young children. We plan to take Sophie to the zoo this summer for the first time. I think she will get a kick out of Monkey Island, the primate house, and the panda bears especially! She loves animals, and this is a good way to introduce her to a wide variety of furry friends. My favorite zoo ever is the Cleveland Metro Parks Zoo where they even have a simulated rainforest! But, these days I will settle for the National Zoo in Washington, DC. Not as good, but it's still a great place to visit!
- Camping! I like the Shenandoah Valley for camping. We have not taken the kids yet, as I think the babies are a little too young to be roughing it just yet. I will not sleep on the ground, so I prefer cabins to tents. If not, I HAVE to have an inflatable mattress. I like KOA campgrounds because they have activities, plumbing, showers, and an inground pool. What can I say? I like chlorine! I will not swim where fish and other marine life poops. Not gonna happen!
- Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. Yep, of you couldn't tell yet, I am an Ohio gal who has been living in the South since the age of 12. I miss Ohio terribly! Other than missing snowy winters, another fantastic thing in Ohio that I miss is Cedar Point. This is an AWESOME amusement park located a couple of hours west of Cleveland. This isn't your typical amusement park, though. It is built right on the shore of Lake Erie, and has more rollercoasters and thrill rides than any other park I have been to. FYI: At the top of one of their death-defying coasters, you can even see Canada across the lake! If you're brave enough to They even have a great water-park! I hope we get the chance to visit Ohio this summer! I'd love to go back!
***Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Alamo blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here. ***