So when we moved to Ohio this past summer, I made sure to find an ALDI location near our new home. To my delight, there is one about a mile away! With Christmas coming, I was definitely going to take advantage of their great deals to cater our Christmas festivities again.
This year, our gathering will be smaller and more intimate. On Christmas Eve, my Dad and Step-Mom will be coming over in the evening, and hopefully I will get to see my brother and meet his Fiance who has been teaching kids English in France. Then on Christmas Day, we will be heading over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house. Okay. So that was cheesy, but I couldn't resist! We will be heading to my Grandma's, who just happens to be the most awesome woman in the world, for lasagna, Polish Sausages, and of course her famous Buckeye Balls.
If you haven't checked ALDI out before, you're in for a real treat. And you'll save oodles and oodles of money, as this growing chain is committed to providing high quality products for very frugal prices. You won't see a lot of name brands at ALDI, but their store brand is absolutely wonderful, and you would never know the difference. Shopping at ALDI is a bit different than at your regular grocery store, so here are some tips you'll want to keep in mind before you head to the store.
ALDI Shopping Tips :
- You Won't Find Big Name Brands. Most of the items are store brand. But like I said, they are comparable to, if not better than, the brands you're used to buying. You'll even find a unique variety of items most grocers lack.
- No coupons accepted. So leave your binder at home. I think you'll find that even with this no-coupon policy, prices are amazing. You'll save just as much as you would using a coupon, and in many cases even more!
- No credit cards accepted but *most* debit cards work fine. Unless of course you bank with Navy Federal. For some reason, their debit cards cannot be processed at ALDI. We learned this the hard way last year!
- Bring your own grocery bags. They do offer bags for sale, but if you're like me, you probably have plenty of them at home. I like using reusable shopping bags.
- Bring a Quarter. You will need to deposit a quarter to get a cart. That's right. If you want a cart, you will have to insert a quarter. Then when you return it, your quarter will be returned.
Overall, we LOVE ALDI, and are more than happy to go out of our way to shop there, especially for Holiday and seasonal items. They always have a wonderful variety of gourmet offerings, and the prices are amazing. (Where else can you buy high-end, imported cheeses for $2.99?!) We love their wines, the Landshut in particular, and their meats and produce are always super-fresh, too. They even have a great freezer section, so you can stock up on appetizers, pizzas, desserts, etc.
How To Connect :
Have you shopped at ALDI before? I'd love to hear your experiences!
***Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for ALDI. I received a gift certificate to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.***