But sometimes, whether it be due to a hectic schedule or lack of motivation, I want something easy and less labor intensive. That's when I pull out my trusty slow cooker! I use it about once a week, and it really is convenient. One of my favorite slow-cooked meals is chicken and dumplings. And they're SO easy! Sure, they're not completely from scratch, but no one will ever know unless you tell them. This meal is savory, just a teensy bit sweet from my own personal addition of honey, and it sticks to the ribs. Perfect for a cold winter night! And no one will know how hard you didn't work as they lick their bowls clean!
Want the recipe? Keep reading!
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings :
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic. (Fresh is best, but jarred will do!)
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt or Emeril's Essence
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
- Place the chicken, butter, soup, stock, seasonings, honey, carrots and garlic in a slow cooker. If the stock does not completely cover the ingredients, add water till it does.
- Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough and peas in the slow cooker. Stir it some, but be careful not to over-mix. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.