Most of the day went fairly well. I played with the babies and did some cleaning, etc... Nothing too odd there. My husband got home at around 6:00, and he told me he wanted to get some carryout and set up a nice dinner for me here at home, since taking 2 babies to a restaurant didn't seem like the smartest thing to be doing that close to their bedtime. As we were looking online for nearby restaurants, Xander was in my lap and Sophie was running around playing. Now she is one you HAVE to keep both eyes on at all times, and thank GOD we were doing just that....
She was playing with a little "fart machine" of Kyle's. It's a little toy, and it had a battery compartment on the back that was TIGHTLY screwed in. (Still is!) She found some way to BREAK the cover off, since she couldn't get it to open, and within 10 seconds, she had swallowed a watch battery. We SAW her do it! She was 5 feet away, and she was simply too quick for us to get it out of her mouth. She swallowed it immediately. I hopped on Google to see if there was a number I needed to call while Dan frantically searched for a stray battery, hoping maybe she dropped it and it didn't in fact get swallowed. We tore the room apart in search of the battery, and nope! Nowhere to be found!
We called the National Battery Ingestion Hotline. (Who knew such a thing existed, or that people actually "eat" batteries?) They told us to take her to the emergency room immediately so she could be evaluated. The hospital is literally less than 5 minutes away, so at least we could get there quickly. Dan told me to stay home with Xander, since he's so little and we didn't want to expose him to whatever illnesses were hanging out in the ER Lobby. Dan of course said he'd call if I needed to come. I was so mad! I wanted to go and be with my baby! But now I see the logic in him taking her....
The entire trip lasted about 2 hours. They got her in within 10 minutes and took her vitals, and got her in for an X-Ray. The X-Ray technician had never seen a cloth diaper, by the way, and was apparently quite impressed. She was wearing an Ebber-Deeber, my favorite diapers ever! So it took 2 nurses and a scared Daddy to hold her down for the X-Ray while she screamed bloody murder the whole time.
They got sent back to the waiting room, and then called back into a room to wait for the doctor. They called Dan and Sophie back really quickly, and YES...The battery was in her belly. (Or should I say IS in her belly? It's still there.) Luckily, the biggest risk with this type of battery is getting lodged in the esophogus or getting hung up on the way into the stomach, where it could then corrode and cause internal chemical burns. (Scary!!!) Thank God it made it into her stomach, and they said we can just wait for her to poop it out. They didn't coat her stomach or give her any laxatives...Just sent her home and told us to wait it out. We will need to take her back in if she experiences stomach pain, a fever, or blood in the stool.
I am a worrier by nature, so of course I did not sleep last night. I am a nervous wreck and will be till she poops the battery out. She seems fine though, and is acting completely normal. So I need to catch up on some sleep today because I am exhausted. Both babies are napping now, so I think I'll catch a nap. I will not be able to function otherwise.
Ahhh, the joys of parenthood. That was MY Mother's Day! I am going to frame the X-Ray,lol....This was the worst Mother's Day ever, and one I definitely won't forget!