One thing that is so important during summertime, or ANY time traveling, is security and safety. Whether it be on the home front or on the road, safety is imperative for your well-being as well as for your belongings. The nice folks at Master Lock understand this, and have come up with some great tips to help keep your family secure during your travels! These tips will help eliminate some of the stress and frustration that can accompany travel plans, allowing you to focus on what's truly important: Making lasting memories with your family!
- Secure all points of entry to your home, including dead bolting doors, windows, sliding glass doors and garage/shed doors to bolster your home’s safety. If you have an alarm system in place, be sure it is activated before departing. Leaving just one of these areas open or unlocked can lead to theft.
- Keep your home active. Whether you’ve hired a dog walker or a neighbor is headed over to water plants and pick up deliveries, ensuring your home still appears to have people coming and going regularly can deter thieves. Store your house key in a key safe such as the Master Lock 5400D Key Safe to allow these individuals to easily enter and exit your home, locking it up as they leave. Make sure these approved visitors know the code to your home alarm system, if applicable, so they can deactivate it and reset it after finishing their tasks. If you do not have anyone visiting your property while you’re away, consider placing lights on a timer and stopping your mail delivery by visiting www.usps.com.
- Lock up your luggage. Airports are full of people and distractions. Items can be easily stolen from bags while awaiting your flight’s departure, or before you pick up checked luggage from the baggage claim area. A TSA-accepted lock like the Master Lock 4688Dluggage lock will help keep your possessions safe while in transit and allow you to move through security lines with ease.
- Secure important items in your room. Whether you’re staying in a hotel, cabin or resort – it’s important to lock up valuables when not in your room. A secure document storage or cash box will help ensure your passport, traveler’s checks, cash and jewelry safe while you and your family enjoy the sights and sounds of your destination. If you’re taking your small valuables out and about with you, consider a Master Lock 5900D Safe Space to keep your belongings secure while you’re on the go.
- Create an emergency plan. It’s no doubt you will have several activities planned throughout the course of your vacation. In the event that a member of your family becomes separated from your group while out and about, each individual should have a list of important numbers as well as a plan detailing how to reconnect with the group.
We received a TSA Approved Master Lock Luggage Lock for review. This is a great little lock that allows you to set your own 3 digit combination, and also features a key hole to make this lock accessible for airline personnel to check your bags without having to break the lock. (And yes, they ARE allowed to break locks if need be. I have had this happen years ago when I traveled to the Toronto area!)
The lock is very strong, very durable, and easy to operate. We have tried the lock on several pieces of luggage, and it is extremely easy to attach. We also found that the lock does not "stick" or get finicky when entering the combination. My son actually wants to use this luggage lock on his locker this year, he likes it so much! Master Lock, as always, is the natural choice when wanting to keep your items safe and secure. Whether it be for travel, school, or even home use, Master Lock has you covered!
Master Lock products are available pretty much everywhere! You can also check them out on their website to view their full range of products!
For more great security tips, be sure to follow Master Lock on Facebook and on twitter!
One lucky follower will be receiving the same lock I received for review!
Please use this handy Rafflecopter form to enter!
This giveaway is open to US Residents 18+ and will be open until 12:01AM EST on 8/19/2011. Winners will be chosen at random and will be announced here, tweeted, shared on Facebook, and contacted via e-mail. The winners will have 48 hours to reply and claim their prize. If I receive no response, I will be forced to draw a new winner.
***Disclosure: I received a complimentary product to facilitate my review. No other compensation was provided, and all opinions are 100% honest and have not been influenced in any way.***