While the kids had fun eating their Madagascar Munch Mix, (reipe to follow) and laughing up a storm at the antics of Alex, Melman and Gloria, I was able to head into the next room to get to know our neighbors better and to talk to them about something many kids have in common: Allergies.
My 12 year old has pretty bad seasonal allergies. He is also allergic to cats. I think he gets that from me, since I am allergic to just about everything. This is why instead of the big, scary dog my husband would love to have, we have a tiny little, hypoallergenic Yorkie named Trouble.
I was surprised to find that all the moms and dads I talked to at our party had children with allergies, too! We also shared a lot of the same complaints about children's allergy medications. It seemed that many of them caused our kids to become drowsy and zombie-like, and that just takes the fun out of being a kid!
I give my son Children's Claritin, and we love it. It tackles his seasonal and environmental allergies quickly, and it doesn't knock him out. I told our neighbors all about it, and even provided coupons and samples to them so they could try it out, too!
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- Combine 5 cups corn or rice cereal, 1 1/2 cups of pretzels and 1 cup chopped nuts on a 13x9x2 baking pan.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter and 1/2 tsp of salt together and pour over cereal, mixing well.
- Bake at 325 F for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice. Cool.
- Combine cereal mixture with 1 cup of raisins or dried fruit and 1 cup of chocolate chips or candies (I used M&Ms, but omitted the raisins since a few of our guests didn't like them).
You can find some valuable printable coupons on the Claritin website.
Claritin’s Facebook page has some fun printable Madagascar activities that your kids are sure to enjoy, too!
***Disclosure:I received a party pack from the Claritin Mom Crew. All opinions in this post are 100% my own, and have not been influenced in any way.***