Thankfully, my kids have pretty broad palates and happen to love their vegetables. But have you ever noticed that plain old veggies tend to get a bit ho-hum at times? A bowl full of vegetables on their own come across as pretty uninspiring. While kids may eat and even enjoy them, they generally don't get genuinely excited about them.
There are tons of great ways to jazz up seemingly ordinary vegetables by adding them to creative, kid-friendly recipes. You see, veggies don't have to simply be a side dish...They can easily be transformed into the main attraction!
I recently stumbled upon the Birds Eye Kids website, and there I found a bunch of recipes designed specifically for the pickiest of eaters: Kids!
The beauty about all of these recipes is that you can feel free to get creative with them and substitute ingredients your family enjoys. For example, our grocery store was sold out of the Steamfresh® Chef's Favorites Lightly Seasoned Southwestern Style Corn, so we substituted with some Birds Eye Steamfresh Mixed Vegetables instead. I also made my own fresh guacamole rather than rely on prepackaged guac.
Anyway, here's our take on Taste Tester Corn Jalapeno Dip:
- 1 package (12 oz.) Steamfresh® Broccoli Florets, cooked according to package directions
- 1 package (12 oz.) Steamfresh® Chef's Favorites Lightly Seasoned Southwestern Style Corn, cooked according to package directions (We substituted Steamfresh Mixed Vegetables)
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream, divided (We used plain Greek Yogurt instead since we don't like sour cream)
- 1-1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tomato, diced (We skipped this altogether, since my kids don't care for them!)
- 1 cup prepared guacamole(Or FRESH! Check out my own personal recipe HERE.)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (Optional), seeded and finely chopped
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas (Optional)
1. In medium bowl, blend broccoli with 1/2 cup sour cream. (Or yogurt!)
2. In 4 tortilla bowls or individual dip bowls, evenly layer cooked southwest corn, 1 cup cheese, tomatoes, broccoli mixture, guacamole, remaining sour cream and jalapeno.
3. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve with your favorite dippers.
Tortilla Bowls (optional): Arrange 1 (6-inch) flour tortilla in a 2-cup microwave safe bowl, pressing down to make a bowl shape. Microwave on HIGH 60 seconds. Carefully remove from bowl and let stand on wire rack until cooled and hard. Repeat with 3 additional tortillas.
If you're a visual person. I took lots of photos:
HOW TO CONNECT :
You can check out the awesomeness that is Birds Eye on their website.
You can also connect with them on Facebook and on twitter to stay on top of their latest products and promotions.
***Disclosure:I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Birds Eye. I received product coupons to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.***