Another thing that really doesn't help the matter is that my preteen is VERY picky. He won't eat steak, roast, brisket, mushrooms, olives, or anything with a white sauce. (Just to name a few.) Making meals that everyone will enjoy can become incredibly challenging when dealing with such a picky eater in the house. If Kyle had his way about it, we would live solely off of Ramen noodles, macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, and chicken nuggets. Oh, and pizza. I can't forget the pizza!
Recently I have been able to shake up dinner with the help of Kikkoman. You all know Kikkoman, right? They're leaders in bringing Asian cuisine into kitchens around the world. They're most noted for their soy sauce, but they actually have a very wide range of products available, like Panko, Ponzu Sauce, Rice Vinegar, and even Teriyaki sauces, just to name a few. I was thrilled to receive several Kikkoman products to review with my family. Maybe dinner time doesn't have to remain so mundane, after all!
The Panko breadcrumbs gave the chicken a wonderful crispness without the heaviness you'd find in conventional fried chicken. Panko, while crunchy, is also very light and airy in texture, and they made a wonderful alternative to regular breadcrumbs and batters.
Our chicken fingers came out perfectly. They were moist and flavorful, with a nice crispy coating. Here's my recipe. Feel free to add to it as you please. Different seasonings can be used to make an entirely new dish every time!
Brandy's Parmesan-Panko Crusted Chicken Fingers with Honey-Mustard Ponzu Sauce
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup Kikkoman Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup oil for frying, or as needed
Honey-Mustard Ponzu Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Honey Mustard (I like O'Charley's)
- 3 tablespoons Kikkoman Lime Ponzu Sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the flour, egg and panko crumbs into separate shallow dishes.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, white pepper, and Parmesan cheese to the Panko. Mix well.
- Coat the chicken breasts in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip them into the egg, and then press into the panko crumbs until well coated on both sides.
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken in the hot oil, and cook 3 or 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
Mix all ingredients together and serve as a dipping sauce.
Voila! There's an easy-peasy weeknight dinner that even picky kids will love! At least MY kids did! Who says chicken fingers need to be dull, bland, and boring? With the help of Kikkoman Panko and Ponzu Sauce, this traditional family favorite can be amped up to bring unexpected flavors and textures to the dinner table! Needless to say, I love Kikkoman and am discovering a whole new world of flavor using their products. Maybe next I will try some desserts with my Kikkoman products! I'll let you know what I come up with!
To check out all of the Kikkoman products and find some great recipes, please visit their website.
You can purchase Kikkoman products wherever groceries are sold.
You can also follow Kikkoman on Facebook to stay on top of their latest products and promotions!
One of you will receive 2 FULL-SIZED Kikkoman Products to try for yourself! How cool is that?!
Enter using this simple Rafflecopter form.
This giveaway is open to US residents 18+ until 12:0AM on 1/06/2012. Winner will be notified via e-mail and will have 48 hours to respond to claim their prize. If I do not receive confirmation, I will be forced to draw a new winner. Good luck!
***Disclosure: I received complimentary products to facilitate my review. No other compensation was provided, and all opinions are 100% honest and have not been influenced in any way.***