Did you know that June is National Safety Month? Seems pretty fitting, since this is the start of the summer season, and lots of families are going on vacations or day trips. I know we plan to be heading out to the water parks, zoo, and festivals quite a bit this summer, and we want to make sure our home is always safe and secure in our absence.
There are many ways to make sure you're not a target, whether you're on the road or enjoying a nice summer "staycation" right at home. Here are just a few of the safety measures I use in my own home.
Summer Home Safety Tips :
1. Always make sure doors and windows are locked. Yes, this sounds like common sense, but leaving easy access to the home can attract intruders. During the summer, daytime burglaries are not uncommon, as thieves know that many people are out enjoying the nice weather.
2. Invest in a home security system. Luckily, we had one already installed when we bought our home. We chose to activate it when we realized we had some crazy people not too far away, and we wanted to make sure that even if we were away, the police would be notified of any breaking or entering. This has given us incredible peace of mind.
3. Keep valuables locked away and out of sight. We have a couple of different home safes, as well as a small travel safe. This can also act as a deterrent to intruders, particularly if the safes are concealed or bolted down. Criminals generally want to get in and out quickly, and remain unnoticed. If someone leaves a home carrying a safe, they're sure to appear highly suspicious!
4. Get involved in or organize a neighborhood watch. If entire communities are vigilant and aware of their surroundings, neighborhoods tend to stay safer. Criminals are less likely to take the chance of getting caught, and may avoid areas where citizens are very aware of their surroundings.
5. Keep keys safe. This is something that many people overlook. How often do you toss keys into drawers, onto counters, or into decorative bowls? Yeah, I did, too. But when I stopped and thought about it, I realized this can be very foolish. I have keys to safes, vehicles, and the house, and they shouldn't be made accessible to intruders. So I decided to keep my keys locked away, too, using a Master Lock Wall Mount Key Safe.
This product is very easy to use, and screws right into any wall or wooden surface. (We have ours on the side of a cabinet.)
This product holds up to 5 large keys, but honestly, I have more than that in ours since the keys to our safes are smaller in size. This is combination operated, and very easy to use. Just plug in your combination, press the black lever, and viola! Your key safe opens!
Master Lock has tons of great products to help keep your home and belongings safe, whether you're at home or on the road. Definitely check them out and see how you can keep your valuables more secure!
Connect With Master Lock :
PR Friendly Mama!
I'm Brandy, a happily married, proud Mom of 3 amazing kids. If you're interested in building a working relationship, please feel free to e-mail me at: NewlyCrunchyMamaOf3@gmail.com
Links We Love :