You may recall that the East Coast had a rare, significant earthquake a couple of months ago. This quake originated less than an hour away from me, and it shook my house quite violently. For some odd reason, I started experiencing severe migraines later that day and was plagued by them for over a week. Coincidence? I don't know. What I do know is that I was in severe pain and discomfort and couldn't even sleep. The headaches I was experiencing were horrid, lasting for several hours at a time. Just when I thought they had ceased, they'd come back with a vengeance.
Before this odd occurrence, I suffered from migraine headaches only occasionally. Thankfully, the constant headaches have stopped. But I still do get migraines once in awhile, especially when it's close to that time of the month or if I haven't gotten enough sleep. Even spending too many hours working online can trigger a doozy of a migraine for me. When this happens, I always grab some Excedrin Migraine for fast relief of my migraine symptoms. Excedrin is the first non-prescription medication that is FDA approved to treat all of those nasty migraine symptoms. It's even the most recommended over the counter remedy by neurologists.
Do you suffer from migraines? You're not alone! It might surprise you to know that nearly 30 MILLION American adults suffer from migraines on a regular basis. And most sufferers are women. It's bad enough we have to deal with periods, cramps, and childbirth...We also have to deal with migraines far more regularly than men. (Lucky guys!)
Recently, the folks at Excedrin teamed up with the National Headache Foundation to conduct a survey looking at just how much people with migraines suffer. It's quite interesting to see some of the trade-offs people would gladly make in exchange for a migraine free life. Here are some eye-opening examples of the lengths people would go to:
- Nearly two-thirds (61%) of adult migraine sufferers would willingly wait in a long line rather than suffer from migraine pain
- A third (33%) would give up five percent of their annual salary
- Other workers would toss their vacation days (26%) or weekends (17%)
- And more than half (52%) would rather visit in-laws
Here are some helpful tips for managing migraine pain:
- Perhaps the most important tool in tracking migraines is a migraine diary. It is used by doctors to track potential triggers and patterns related to your migraine. It helps you track food you eat when migraines occur, duration of migraines, type of pain, amount of sleep, etc.
- Aerobic exercise has been shown to make an appreciable difference in reducing migraines and promoting a general sense of well-being. Even if you walk only 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drinking plenty of water will help you keep hydrated and can help prevent the frequency of migraine incidents.
- And, when migraine pain does set in, consider finding a quiet place to rest, applying a cool compress to the back of your neck.
- Talk with your doctor about an over-the-counter pain reliever like Excedrin® Migraine, which starts to relieve migraine pain in 30 minutes.
For more tips and insights, please visit www.execedrin.com/migraine.
I have personally tried many of the above techniques for managing the pain of migraine headaches, and they really can work wonders. I highly recommend checking out Excedrin's Facebook page for a downloadable Migraine Diary to help identify the triggers of your migraines as well as for more great tips, facts, and information. While you're there, you can become part of the discussion and find that you're definitely not alone. Millions of people suffer from migraines, and with the proper tools and knowledge, this is a condition that can be effectively managed.
HOW TO CONNECT AND SPECIAL OFFER:
Check out Excedrin on Facebook to see real migraine stories, and share your tips and suggestions with other migraine sufferers.
You can also visit The Migraine Center for more information on migraine relief.
You can download an Excedrin Migraine $1 Off Coupon HERE.
The folks at Excedrin know that relaxation is a wonderful way to help combat migraine pain, and want to offer THREE of my lovely readers an amazing Relaxation Gift Basket! (ARV:$140.00)
- A therapeutic neck wrap that can be heated or frozen
- Swarovski Crystal Ear Buds to listen to relaxing music
- A soothing gel eye mask
- $15 iTunes gift card to purchase relaxing tunes
- $50 American Express gift card for additional stress-free needs
- Foot massager
- Back massager
This giveaway is open to US Residents 18+ and will be open until 12:01AM EST on 12/13/2011. Winners will be chosen at random and will be announced here, tweeted, shared on Facebook, and contacted via e-mail. The winners will have 48 hours to reply and claim their prize. If I receive no response, I will be forced to draw a new winner.
***Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. Migraine relief and relaxation kit were provided by Novartis Consumer Healthcare, the makers of Excedrin® Migraine; my journey for a migraine free experience is my own.***