***Disclosure: I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Arla Dofino. I received product samples to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.***
I have had an ongoing love affair with cheese for as long as I can remember. In fact, my parents had to lock the fridge at night when I was a child, since I would routinely get out of bed to sneak a few slices of the good stuff. Of course this completely ruined any recipe plans for the week that called for cheese, so the padlock was pretty much a necessity. Sad, but true. This "cheese restriction" growing up is probably why the HUGE middle drawer of my fridge is full of cheese in many types and varieties. Now that I am grown, I can have all the cheese my wallet allows!
Kyle is much like me, as he loves experimenting with different types of flavors. We watch cooking shows together, and he loves helping me in the kitchen. He also loves learning new recipes that he can prepare himself.
So I decided to teach my son to make a truly gourmet grilled cheese, using my absolute favorite cheese, Arla Dofino Dill Havarti. I LOVE Havarti. No, really....One of my cats is actually named Havarti. That's how deep my affection for this cheese goes. If you haven't ever experienced the amazingness that is Havarti, get off the computer, run to the store, and buy some....NOW! Yes, it's that darn good. It's creamy, buttery and mild, with a hint of sharper nuttiness to finish. So. So. Good.
Anyway...Back to our after-school snack recipe. I taught Kyle how to make a sophisticated, Tuscan-inspired grilled cheese sandwich that is sure to satisfy even the pickiest of palates. It's rumored that this is actually Oprah Winfrey's favorite grilled cheese, and if Oprah likes it, you know it's GOT to be good. And it's super-easy to prepare, as well!
Then prepare just as you would any grilled cheese. You can use butter or olive oil. I like using olive oil for this particular recipe, since it goes along with the Tuscan-inspired feel of the sandwich.
Once your butter or oil is heated in a skillet, add your sandwich. (You should have the heat set to medium or medium-high, depending on your stove. Mine gets super-hot, so I stick to medium.) Cook until the cheese has melted and one side has browned nicely. This should take only a couple of minutes. Then flip and repeat. Once all of your cheese has melted and both sides of the bread have browned and are nice and crispy, you're all set.
So if you're looking for an after-school snack that's anything but dull, bland or boring, definitely try this Tuscan Grilled Cheese. It's so simple, and is bursting with fresh, vibrant flavors.
Here's the recipe, if you'd like to make one of these babies, yourself!
Tuscan Grilled Cheese
- 1 Package Arla Dofino Dill Havarti Cheese
- Fresh Sweet Italian Basil (2-3 leaves per sandwich)
- 1 Tomato, sliced into thin slices
- Wheat bread
- Olive oil OR Butter (for the pan)
- Slice cheese into 1/4 inch thick slices. Set aside.
- Slice tomato into thin slices. Set aside.
- Drizzle honey on each slice of bread.
- On top of the honey, lay down slices of the cheese.
- Add tomato top of the cheese on ONE of the slices of bread.
- Add fresh basil on top of the tomato.
- Place 2nd slice of bread, cheese side DOWN, on top of the first slice. This makes a sandwich with the following layers: Bread, cheese, tomato, basil, cheese, bread.
- Add oil or butter to a skillet set to medium heat.
- Once heated, place sandwich in the skillet.
- Cook about 2 minutes per side, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is browned and crisp.
To enter just CLICK HERE to be taken to the official entry form!
To find Arla Dofino in stores near you, be sure to check out their store locator.
You can also get social with them on Facebook.
For more cheesy inspiration, follow Arla Dofino on Pinterest!
What are YOUR favorite after-school snacks? I'd love to hear about them!