Luckily, there are some simple things you can do to help prevent the cold weather sickies, as we like to call them. It's better to prevent sickness all together if possible, right?
5 Ways to Prepare for Cold and Flu Season :
- Wash hands, and do it often. Our hands carry so many germs. Just think how many surfaces you come in contact with on a daily basis. Some of the worst culprits are door handles, light switches, faucets, and even cell phones! Make sure to wash hands often and encourage little ones to do the same. This will help to ensure that the germs don't make their way into your body, causing illness.
- Deep clean your home. I know...Not exactly a fun thing to do. But I think winter is a great time to keep things scrubbed clean and sanitized. Be sure to pay close attention to countertops and any fixtures your family often comes into direct contact with. We even have our carpers professionally cleaned by a service like Green Choice Carpet. Giving your home a good, thorough cleaning during the colder months can really help, and it even makes Spring Cleaning less daunting!
- Get plenty of sleep. It's a known fact that our immune systems perform best when a person is getting adequate rest. Aim for around 8 hours of sleep per night, and your body will thank you!
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Many provide good sources of Vitamin C , A, and E. These have been proven to help your body fight off viruses should they invade. Good sources of vitamins include orange juice, tomato juice, and of course loads of fresh produce.
- Do Holiday shopping online whenever possible. This sounds strange, but hear me out. Heading out into the crowded shops to buy gifts can expose you to zillions of nasty germs. These germs can then be brought home to your family. By shopping online from the comfort of your own home, you greatly reduce the risk of getting anyone sick.