If you'd like to avoid mosquitos without sacrificing outdoor time with your family, here are a few simple, natural ways to help keep these buzzing pests at bay:
- Lavender Oil. Add 20-30 drops of this essential oil to olive oil and use it as a body oil. Mosquitos HATE the smell, so they will pass you by when looking for their feast. Plus, you'll have really soft skin and smell amazing. It's a win-win situation!
- Plant Mosquito-Repelling Plants. Mosquitos really don't like things like Catnip, Citronella, Lavender, and Feverfew. If your yard is rich with these plants, chances are, mosquitos will be few and far-between.
- Remove Standing Water. Mosquitos lay their eggs in standing water, and it doesn't take much. Be sure to empty bird-baths, pet bowls, and even in puddles. If you take the time to eliminate these standing water sources, your yard will attract far fewer mosquitos.
- Eat Garlic! Yes, garlic is a wonderful mosquito-repellant! They don't like the scent, so be sure to have an extra slice of that crusty garlic bread. It will not only fill your belly, it will also help keep you bite-free this summer!
- Apply Neem Oil. Neem oil comes from the Neem tree, which is found in India. It is often called the "Tree of Life". Neem can be used on plants to keep insects away, but it is also completely safe to apply to the skin. I have used this many times, and it seriously reduces the number of mosquitos that hover around me.
How do YOU keep mosquitos at bay in the summer? Do you have any tips I didn't mention? I'd love to hear them!